Thursday, June 11, 2009

Committing

Well, the time has come for me to finally accept a job offer. I've got to admit, I've got quite a bit of trepidation in choosing... mostly because I barely know the companies I'm choosing between. The only way for me to really get to know them, however, is to go work there. If it turns out to be a Bad Thing then I'll need to continue the search or grind it out until my first title.

On the other hand, I've met a lot of really great people. Most everyone I've met is really into making a great product and doing the best job they can do. That's a major bonus for me as it reflects on the industry as a whole.

When it comes right down to it, though, I have to make a decision. My criteria is fairly simple: Is the company credible? Do I get along with them and them with me? Do they have smart people I can learn from? Are there other studios around them in case things go south?

Some of the criteria is a bit odd... I am not ranking based on pay (although that obviously has some to do with it...) and I'm not limiting myself by genre very much. I know that this is my first game development job, so I can't be too picky. Especially in this economy; I'm just happy to get offers.

I'll post by this weekend who I've decided on... until then, all of us will just wonder.

No comments:

Post a Comment